Sunday, July 15, 2012

Charles Bernstein // A Nightmare On Elm Street

Every 80s baby knows what the first 5 seconds signify. Freddy is going to get you. It sounds like a heater hissing unexpectedly, ready to scald your shivering skin. Hair is standing at attention. Running and dreaming. It was a horrifying concept to be attacked in your dreams, but most of us have been. What a phenomenon Freddy was. There was a girl in my kindergarten class that insisted Freddy had chased her in an ice rink. He was the reason for the visible scratch marks on her body. She succeeded in scaring the shit out of the class. Everyone was out to scare. Scott, (my babysitter’s son) used me to fulfill that need. [ Sidenote  - The Babysitter (1980) is one of the many horror movies my mother and I would watch together. Coincidence?] He would turn off all of the lights and scare me. He also had a “Freddy glove.” He made false promises. He said if I let him he would give me his Grayskull Tower and ALL of his He-Man action figures. All he ever gave me was the crappy snake figure Tung Lashor. If you turned the dial on his back his tongue went in and out. “Terror In The Tub” proves you are safe nowhere.  “Fountain of Blood” brings the dance floor beats. “Run Nancy” is the perfect theme song for our hero. Horror gave us lady heroes like her (Heather Langenkamp), Lila Crane (Vera Miles) in Psycho and Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) in Halloween. The men had their thoughts limited to drinking and coming (at least in the 70s and 80s). The woman was the one with the strategy. Nancy went to set her traps and burn this motherfucker AGAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment